What's new
Elite - MMORPG Gaming Community

Register a free account today to become an Elite! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Elite Community by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summoner Name to Riot ID Transition FAQ

M Offline
Oct 17, 2023
rr.jpeg

As of November 20, 2023, we're transitioning from Summoner Names in League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics to Riot IDs. You can check our Changing Your Riot ID article to see how this is impacting the process of changing your Riot ID, or continue on to see what this means for your in-game name.

WHY ARE SUMMONER NAMES BEING REMOVED?​

Our Transitioning from Summoner Names to Riot IDs article will fill you in on the details, but the tl;dr is that this will help us bring in-client terminology inline with modern League lore and better standardize/unify the Riot Games digital ecosystem.

WHAT'S A RIOT ID?​

That question and more are answered in our Riot ID FAQ!

But the short answer is it's been your universal ID across all Riot games except for League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics—UNTIL NOVEMBER 20, 2023!

HOW DO I CHANGE MY RIOT ID?​

The process for changing your Riot ID is the same regardless of what game you play:

1. Go to your Riot Account page
  2. Change your Riot ID and tag however you like
  3. Click Save Changes
See our Changing Your Riot ID article to learn how often you can change your name for free and the details behind a paid change.

WHY DID I LOSE MY CURRENT SUMMONER NAME?​

When you first created your account, your very first Summoner name is combined with a tag representing your initial server (like #NA1, #EUNE, etc.) to create your Riot ID. This remains the same even if you change your Summoner Name, so your name will be reverted back.

But don't worry! With a unique tagline, you should be able to get your old name back—and it'll even be globally unique.

OTHER COMMON QUESTIONS​

Still have questions? We have answers!

WILL THE FULL RIOT ID BE DISPLAYED IN-GAME?​

Yes and no.

Most games will only display a game name above the champion/agent/etc. to save space, but the full Riot ID will be displayed elsewhere in-client and in some spots in-game. The best way to find out just where the Riot ID will be displayed in full is to play!

WHAT HAPPENS IF I SET A SPECIFIC RIOT ID FOR GAMES THAT USE IT (IE. VALORANT) BUT HAVE A DIFFERENT SUMMONER NAME IN LEAGUE?​

Priority will be given to your chosen Riot ID, which will overwrite your Summoner Name.

WILL THIS CHANGE MY LOGIN INFO?​

Nope! Your login username and password will remain the same.

Tags
league of legends lol riot games riot id
Back